Monday, March 05, 2007


Having such an old slow computer has its benefits - I get a huge amount of knitting done waiting for things to load - but in the last hour I have decided that the time has come for a brand new wiz bang computer with the works and whistles (especially because I am tempted to throw this one out the window and I probably would if I could lift it)

I suppose learning to knit can be as frustrating as troublesome technology but once you get the rhythm it is like meditation. Once you understand how the stitch is made you don't panic when you realise you've made a mistake - just pick it up or pull it apart and start again. I think that is my problem with computers. Things just seem to disappear or discombobulate for no apparent reason and because I don't understand how they work it makes me crazy (but not crazy enough to make me really want to find out how they work - just crazy enough to go and spend vast quantities of hard earned cash on a computer with a good marketing strategy behind it.)

After some initial uncertainty, Barb's needles were clacking like the clappers and she was even able to multi-task with some dog-whispering with Sophie (pictured). Sophie has recently become an "outside dog" due to some flea and wee incidents, however she was allowed inside because of the scary storm (which was really just loud thunder at this point but I'm a bit soft)


So back to knitting, this is the green and pink bag I am making (which doesn't look like a bag yet but I promise it will if I finish it and it doesn't metamorphose into something else, because it used to be a cardigan, then something for Arwen to wear and then it told me it wanted to be a bag. This is my usual stream-of-consciousness knitting experience) I found this lovely op-shop wool which I just couldn't resist despite the overflow of my obligatory knitter's stockpile of irresistible yarns.


Arwen was also allowed to lie on the couch instead of in her bed (again, I know, I'm a bit soft) and proceeded to make herself comfortable in a vocal and theatrical manner. The evening descended into chocolate and biscuit fueled chaos against the backdrop of an eerie light show and Barb was eager to escape. Arwen and I went to bed with sound of rain on the tin roof and unaware of the chaos of another kind which hailed over Canberra.


I was sad to hear that, amongst many other buildings in Canberra, the School of Art, my old friend, fared badly in the storm and I'm thinking of all my sad and soggy friends who will be cleaning and repairing for weeks and months to come.


Barb and I promise weekly updates on knitting and other events from this point forward. Let us know what you think and tell us where you are blogging about knitting.


Bronwen



No comments: