Thursday, July 26, 2007

I walked in this morning to see our resident Gargoyle wearing a striped black and white scarf - football fan I wondered, homage to winter - keep this bronze fella warm, or one of our oh so talented knitters doing a bit of much needed foyer decoration?

All possible. For those of you who don't know we have a gargoyle in our foyer, a figure that deters the faint of heart and welcomes those who appreciate a good belly laugh. A memorial to the late politician Al Grassby, a bronze character who it is said is the father of multiculturalism in Australia . It is here because this building now houses the new ACT Multicultural Centre located on the top floor. There was a movement to have Al placed in the foyer of the Multicultural Centre itself on the top floor so that his presence here may be absolutely clear, but instead it is the lonely but happy guy who welcomes all to our shared facility. Of course I wouldn't expect our visitors to know Al's true role, but rather I hope that they appreciate his Gargoyleness and take him on board in the role of protector and comic relief.

I'm sorry to say the camera is off campus today so I can't even shoe the rugged up Al the Gargoyle for you, but since this morning this fine piece of knitted clothing has been whisked off Al to I don't know where, so you will just have to take my word for it. this leads me to the real point which is that A) I fialed to get a good pic, and B) I know that there has been some attention paid to Al the Gargoyle since the Knit1 Blog1 exhibition has been up and there have been some stunning portraits taken of him. This is a call to all those portrait photographers askng them to allow me to put them up on this blog, I'd love to have a record of these small offerings to Al the Gargoyle.

On a not so light note, one of our projectors that was in the gallery projecting the blogs was stolen. We are not happy Jan(ers) aroudn here especially me. This sort of thing puts one into a fug for the rest of the week and now we will be undertaking more security measures. Its such a shame as this has never happened to us before but there is always a first time....

3 comments:

Bells said...

oh that really stinks. Totally. I'm sorry that happened Barb.

Michelle said...

Oh man! What an awful thing to have happen! Don't let it get you down - I'm a great believer in Karma, and well, there are just too many idiots in the world.

I'll be adorning Al with a capelet and perhaps a beanie tomorrow on my way in to the knit in. Shall remember to take photos.

Knit1 Blog1 said...

Thanks Bells and Michelle,

it was a real bummer, but now we have bolted down the other two and learned a lesson to boot!

Thanks for the commiserations tho'.