Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thursday night before the opening and still doing the last things. We have put all the work up and it is all labelled. I am finalising all the stock for sale with some new additions arriving tomorrow. There will be quite the feast of product to go along with Knit1 Blog1.

Here is a sampler of some of Jejune's cards:


Yesterday I heard about 2nd Life - I know I am slow, something to do with my head down and getting on with the work in front of me, or maybe it is because I have never really been into computer games etc. 2nd Life - what a strange concept. Is it more strange than blogging, or is it just different, and what roles do they play in our lives? Having travelled to many knitting blog sites over the past 6 months and never feeling like I was seeing more than the tip of the iceberg, it seems that this communication method is dependant on the real world, what is happening in the world is reflected, commented in the blogs that I have been reading. The pictures are blinks of life in other peoples world, and a world that exists in real time and space. So why 2nd Life, what is the attraction, the aim, the desire? Are bloggers inclined to become a part of 2nd Life or are they satisfied with blogging. Will I be forever at my desk here at work writing on my screen or will this evolve into conversations with people face to face?

Blogging makes sense to me, it is a way to converse on a topic of my choice and people can view that or not and make comment and possibly connect. Should I feel despondent/offended if no-one comments on this blog, wonder at night if people are reading it, and worry about it taking up time? Its a fascinating stream of people who knit and blog and it doesn't seem relegated to the virtual at all, its possible to come together share, comment on the world and be encouraged to knit creations of every size, shape, colour and numerous function and non function, gainnig a skill and a sense of personal satisfaction. Is this the same in 2nd Life? If I can build the worlds sexiest condo and look like I have never looked in my life, is there a similar sense of self satisfaction I wonder? If one person can make a million can everyone? Would I go to a virtual flat nightclub, when I have the option of real world nightclub that has all the right ingredients to get every sense of the body activated? Probably not. Knit1 Blog1 the exhibition is a great example of the blog working for the real non virtual world. Hmm more to ponder on blogging, knitting, sharing and the weird world of 2nd Life.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I can't imagine playing second life. How do you smell a winter's morning? Or hear the chicken next door squabble, or feel the breeze against your face when you are trying to cross Akuna St late in the afternoon? Life on this earth is too good, I reckon, to be spending time on a life that isn't real.

As for blogging - I don't blog for anyone else other than myself. It's my "stream of consciousness" process, if you like, and blogging forces me to really think about why I do something, and how it makes me feel to create, rather than just shutting myself off and creating and not thinking about the emotional process.

DrK said...

yeah that whole 2nd life thing is seriously weird. it makes me sad that there are people so unhappy with their real lives that they have to create virtual other ones. some gratitude for what they do have probably wouldnt go astray, rather than dreaming about being bigger, blonder, skinnier or richer. weird. blogging makes perfect sense, in comparison! its a second REAL life that you get to share with other REAL people!

Donyale said...

I have a good friend who is also a knitter, blogger and writer who looses herself in 2nd Life....interesting really. I haven't gone there - I sit and await my Ravelry invite instead.

Caffeine Faerie said...

As a librarian, we looked at Second Life, and its library. It is interesting, but as kms said - very weird. It's like World of Warcraft without the elves and spells. And why put yourself into a space where you can't enjoy this life?

Blogging is the better outlet. I blog for my friends - it's better than a group email :), and it allows feedback in a more interactive manner than any email could.

Anyway, looking forward to the exhibition this evening. I've been lurking since my friends suggested I put something in. Maybe next year, when my blog is a bit more mature. :)

~CF

Bells said...

2nd life scares me. I don't know why. I can't deal with losing myself in something that actually doesn't appear to have any real benefit. At least blogging is about stuff we knitters really do. No 2nd life for me!